Since our financial situation could be better, we’ve decided to start a diet. A money diet. Hence all the unnecessary costs will have to go and the mandatory have to get lesser. Some ways of cutting our monthly costs:
- eating cabbage, root veggies and frozen vegetables on the weekdays and saving the tomatoes and more expensive greens for the weekends
- eating out only two times a month (excluding Antti’s lunches)
- following the 30 day rule
- eating reasonable amounts of meat
- using public transportation more
- considering iHerb shopping and other eShopping more carefully
- selling useless books into an antique store instead of donating away
- …not even thinking about traveling.
My mother has a saying “tikkuja säästää, konjakkia ostaa” (roughly translates into sparing matches allows you to afford cognac). We’ll live by that as our guideline.
All additional ideas on how to save money are welcome in the comments.